DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
Headquarters, 278th Regimental Combat Team
1001 Lee Avenue, Building 2302
Camp Shelby, MS 39407-5500
278 - RCO†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 25 Oct 2004
MEMORANDUM FOR 278TH RCT FAMILY MEMBERS AND FAMILY READINESS GROUPS
SUBJECT: Commanders News from Mobilization Station Shelby, MS
1. The 278th Regimental Combat Team (RCT) is continuing to train and prepare for our mission in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom III (OIF III). Commanders are working to support Soldiers in having time off to spend with their family while preparing for the upcoming missions.
2. Some Soldiers will be on a different leave schedule due to operation requirements. All troopers will be allowed to travel to their home to see their families and have a chance to vote in their local elections. We are planning an 11 NOV departure ceremony here at Camp Shelby, MS that all families and friends of the Regiment are invited and encouraged to attend. The FRG, as always, plays a key role in putting out information to all family members. Please forward this information to all families in the Regiment.
3. The ceremony will be held on the MCS Parade Field (primary) or at the Forrest County Multipurpose Center (inclement weather) Ceremony start time is 1200 noon on the 11th. The 129th Army Band will be conducting the military music for the 11 Nov. ceremony. Bleachers will be available for family with seating up to 3,200. Portalets will be available in the area of the parade field.
4. All family members must go through the South Guard Gate to enter Camp Shelby. All vehicles arriving at the Guard Gate must have a valid driverís license, proof of insurance, vehicle registration and ID for every adult in the vehicle. No ice chests or large containers will be allowed on shuttle buses or the parade field.
5. All vehicles will be parked in the Regimental areas or in the Motor pools. Bus shuttle service will be available starting at 9:00am until 4:00pm. Because of the traffic congestion family members are encouraged to arrive early. Soldiers of the 278th RCT will be located at the South Guard Gate to help family members with information. Post strip maps are attached and will also be available at the South Guard Gate.
6. MWR Concert will be preformed on 10 Nov. starting at 6:00pm and will end at 10:00pm on the parade field. There will be 3 bands and possibly a few more entertainers who will be performing for our soldiers and their families. This concert is provided specifically for our troops and paid for by the military. Everyone should enjoy the atmosphere and the quality of the entertainment. I encourage all families to come out and enjoy the evening on the parade field.
7. Ms. Stacy McQuirter at the Hattisbury Hotel Asson. (601-599-2001) (www.hattisburginn.com) () Family members may need to reserve rooms in outlying areas of Laurel or on the MS Gulf Coast (drive from the coast is 1-1 Ĺ hrs)
8. Special accommodations are available for the handicapped at the parade field. Please notify the Regimental S-1, MAJ SOUTHERLAND in advance, if possible, for arrangements. This can be done by calling 601-558-4196 or having your soldier inform his chain-of-command. Wheel Chair bound vehicles must identify themselves at the South Guard Gate to receive the special accommodations pass.
9. Food and drink vendors will be set up around the parade field area.
10. Kids Fall Festival area will be set up at the gym that is located close to the parade field. It will have a Space Jump area and popcorn and refreshments. There will be a diaper changing and nursing area also at the gym. This is not a day care operation but somewhere the kids can go for fun and games.
11. All units and Soldiers of the 278th will participate in the ceremony. Medical assets will be available in the area of the Parade field.
12. Pass the word to everyone back home about this event in honor to our Soldiers. I am proud of our Family Readiness Groups and appreciate all that you have done. Also, let everyone know that I understand the sacrifice each family member is making to support our troopers of the 278th RCT and you have my appreciation for your support. God Bless the 278th RCT.
DENNIS J. ADAMS